- Many people are trying to start a side hustle during the pandemic, as rising unemployment and reduced hours are pushing them to look for creative, independent ways to make money.
- But the desire to simply survive isn’t enough to make it as a professional side hustler, experts say.
- Those who’ve successfully transitioned into working for themselves share with Business Insider the 10 books that helped them find success on the side.
- Whether it’s how to’s or a personal account of finding motivation, these books offer practical advice and actionable steps on transforming your passion project into a lucrative source of freedom.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Thanks to the coronavirus, unemployment is way up and so are new side hustles. Millions have been thrown out of work or seen their hours cut, and according to a host of surveys, many are responding by finding creative, independent ways to make money on their own.
“Sixty-four percent of Americans age 24 and older who lost a job or had their hours reduced have landed, or plan to seek, a side hustle, according to a TD Ameritrade survey,” reported USA Today. “54% of all adults are planning a side gig, according to a mid-April survey by Self.inc.”
Whether you’re starting a side hustle because of the pandemic or because you’ve always dreamed of controlling your own schedule and financial future, the goal isn’t to grind through long days for just enough to avert disaster. Every side hustler wants to do more than survive.
Those who’ve successfully made the leap to working for themselves and now help others find lucrative ways to make money on the side, including coaches and authors, insist books can help. Business Insider reached out to several of them for recommendations of the best titles to teach you how to transform your side hustle from a passion project or financial necessity into a source of real freedom and wealth.